Please Note: Articles on this site may contain affiliate links, meaning we may be compensated if you purchase a product or service after clicking them - at no additional cost to you. Thank you for supporting our blog in this way. Read our full disclosure policy here.
Over the years we have developed a rather extensive packing list which differs a little depending on one's travel destination and less so on how long you will be travelling for.
There are however a few somewhat odd but incredibly handy items which we don’t think would appear on a traditional packing list. These are not essential travel items, but most are small and cheap and just make your life on the road so much easier!
1. Stainless steel S-shaped hooks - for being able to hang things anywhere.
2. Folding knife - bigger than a pocket knife so that you can use it to eat with too.
3. Mesh bags - for sorting dirty laundry & for doing small or delicate laundry in.
4. Universal sink plug - to be able to run a bath or basin of water to do hand laundry.
5. Travel washing line (peg less) - indispensable!
6. Survival Water Filter Pro - to reduce the need to buy bottled water & in case of emergency.
7. Adjustable Cell Phone Stand - for easier browsing or when you do Yoga. Also helps to take better photos!
8. Airplane earphone adaptor - so you can use your own earphones on the plane.
9. Headphone Splitter - to share audio guides etc.
10. Sistema reusable bottle for hot & cold - to reduce using plastic bottles.
11. Packing cubes - a traveller’s best friend!
12. Zip lock bags - very handy and reusable.
13. Elastic bands - did you know how versatile and useful they can be?
14. Permanent marker - ok, so maybe this one isn’t that useful.
15. Compact screwdriver with interchangeable bits - so you can fix stuff.
16. Buff / multi-functional headwear - because it’s multi-functional of course.
17. USB anti-mosquito device - no one wants to be eaten alive by mosquitoes.
18. Travel Powerstrip with USB - we can’t live without this.
19. Mini sewing kit (needle, cotton, button, safety pin) - tiny but handy.
20. Cordless Hair trimmer with USB charging- this is a great item to test your trust in each other if you travel as a couple!
21. Superglue - the name says it all, it’s super!